New to this edition:
- Rewritten throughout in line with Eurocode 7, with reference to other international standards
- Restructured into two major sections dealing with the basic concepts and theories in soil mechanics and the application of these concepts within geotechnical engineering design
- New topics include limit analysis techniques, in-situ testing, and foundation systems
- Additional material on seepage, soil stiffness, the critical state concept, and foundation design
- Enhanced pedagogy including a comprehensive glossary, learning outcomes, summaries, and visual examples of real-life engineering equipment
Also new to this edition is an extensive companion website comprising innovative spreadsheet tools for tackling complex problems, digital datasets to accompany worked examples and problems, a password-protected solutions manual for lecturers covering the end-of-chapter problems, weblinks, extended case studies, and more.